Whether your old car wheezes on your way to work or you want more safety features for your family, used cars are a smart way to upgrade.
Buying Used Isn’t as Risky as it Used to Be
Many drivers are on the fence about buying a used car. But newer models are better-built and can go well over 100,000 miles, with some even pulling 200,000 miles.
So, if you’re ready for something new (or newer), here are our Top 10 Used Cars to Buy in 2021.
Worried that the dashboard’s light show means you’ll have to fix or replace your car before you save enough money? These budget cars will get you on the road without spending a lot of money.
1. Toyota Corolla. Toyota cars are known for their longevity and value. Even in a market where used car prices have risen sharply, you can find a 2015 or older for as little as $11k.
2. Honda Fit. This car lives up to its name. Not only can the Fit squeeze into any parking space, but the “Magic” rear seats give you options for hauling items of all shapes and sizes. Your best deal might be a 2015 model, which you can find for around $14k.
3. Hyundai Elantra. You won’t find another automaker that delivers as many features for the money. The Elantra is roomy, quiet, and comfortable. And Hyundai’s low repair costs make the Elantra an attractive option for budget-minded buyers.
Roomy and Refined and Affordable Daily Drivers
If remote work isn’t an option for you, here are some sedans and crossovers that will take the sting out of your commute.
4. Honda Accord. This sedan checks all the boxes: Great gas mileage, responsive handling, and a spacious back seat that makes wrangling kids into car seats a breeze. A five-year-old Accord shouldn’t set you back more than $25k. P.S. The Accord comes in a hybrid model, too.
5. Ford Fusion Hybrid. This stylish hybrid delivers fantastic fuel economy and comes with an impressive suite of features, including Ford’s SYNC infotainment package.
6. Mazda 6. Refined. Responsive. And it may make you start loving your commute. Take that, pricey European sedans!
SUVs for Big Families or Big Hobbies
These SUVs offer plenty of room, comfort, and convenience for growing families or hobbies that require extra cargo space.
7. Jeep Cherokee. Jeep’s flagship family SUV is roomy and capable with an available beefy V6 engine.
8. Toyota Highlander. Even the experts love this three-row SUV for its versatility and comfort. You should be able to find a fully loaded 2016 model for under $30k.
9. Dodge Journey. For around $20k, you can get a 2016-2019 Journey with room for seven (and all their stuff). Plus, it tows 2,500 pounds, gets decent gas mileage, and is small enough to easily park. What’s not to love?
10. Jeep Wrangler. Okay, it’s time for some fun. And what’s more fun than blowing the roof (and doors) off and playing in the mud? Newer Wranglers come with a lot of fancy technology but if you just want to play outside, pick up a pre-2010 model.
Hidden Gems for Every Need and Every Budget
Are you trying to buy a car on a ramen noodle budget? Or do you want something more spacious and sophisticated? Our top 10 used cars to buy in 2021 uncovered some hidden gems you’ll want to add to your test drive list.
This post may contain affiliate links. Meaning a commission is given should you decide to make a purchase through these links, at no cost to you. All products shown are researched and tested to give an accurate review for you.